Microsoft has rollout Windows 11 as a free upgrade for eligible Windows 10 devices. That means windows 11 downlaod and install notification only prompt on devices that meet the minimum hardware requirements. The latest Windows 11 bring a new look to the operating system include, centered start menu, snap layouts, use of Android apps, Microsoft Teams, Widgets and more. If you are using Windows 10 and looking for try these new windows 11 features, here is how to check the compatibility status with Windows 11. This post also explains how eligible windows 10 devices upgrade windows 11 for free.
Windows 11 system requirements
Here is what minimum hardware requirements Microsoft official recommends to install or upgrade windows 11.
Microsoft official explained that they want to set a standard for PC security with Windows 11 and older devices are not being supported because they lack all these security features.
- CPU: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with 2 or more cores on a compatible 64-bit processor or System on a Chip (SoC)
- RAM: Minimum 4GB or greater
- Storage: 64GB of larger free space
- System firmware: UEFI, Secure Boot capable
- TPM: Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0
- Graphics card: Compatible with DirectX 12 or later with WDDM 2.0 driver
- Display: High definition (720p) display that is greater than 9” diagonally, 8 bits per color channel
- Internet connection: Internet connectivity is necessary to perform updates, and to download and use some features.
The latest Windows 11 require secure boot enabled, which helps prevent unsigned and potentially malicious software from being loaded during your PC’s boot process.
Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 2.0 is required that add an extra layer of security to your computer by generating storing and limiting the usage of cryptographic keys.
How to check Device is eligible for windows 11 upgrade
If you’re unsure about what hardware your PC has you can follow the steps below to check compatibility status with Windows 11: It’s simple and very easy,
- Download the Windows PC Health Check app from the official Windows 11 page here.
- Locate the PC Health Check app at download folder, right-click on it select run as administrator,
- Accept the terms and click on the installation button to begin the installation process.
- Open the PC health check app, you need to locate the Windows 11 banner at the top of the page and click Check Now.
- The tool will prompt whether your PC can run Windows 11, or what the problem is if it can’t.
You can also open Windows Update Settings and select Check for updates to learn more about the update.
If the upgrade is ready for your device, you will see the option to download and install,
How to get the Windows 11 Free Upgrade
If your device meets minimum system requirements for Windows 11 free upgrade, you can get your free copy following the steps below. Before this,
- Back up all of your important documents, apps, and data to an external storage or cloud storage.
- Disconnect external devices such as flash drive, printer, scanner or external HDD,
- Temporarily disable or uninstall third-party antivirus, Disconnect VPN
- Make sure you have a stable working internet connection to download windows 11 update files from Microsoft server.
Check for windows update
The official way to get the windows 11 free upgrade is checking windows update on supported, fully up to date Windows PC
- Press Windows key + X then select settings,
- Go to update and security then hit check for updates button,
- If you will prompt upgrade to windows 11 is ready – and its free, click on download and install button,
- The EULA (End User Licensing Agreement) will prompt you must click on Accept and install to proceed.
- This will start downloading Windows 11 update files from Microsoft server,
- It may take some time depending on your hardware configuration and internet speed.
Once completed, reboot your device. On the next start, you will prompt the brand new windows 11 with lots of new features and changes.
Windows 11 Installation Assistant
If your PC meets minimum system requirements but you won’t see windows 11 free upgrade available. Don’t worry Microsoft is rolling out Windows 11 slowly over the course of many months, and may it be available for you upcoming months. In such cases, you can use the official Windows 11 Installation Assistant to install Windows 11 on your device.
- Head over to Microsoft’s Windows 11 Download page here and select Windows 11 Installation Assistant.
- Locate and right-click on the Windows11InstallationAssistant.exe select run as administrator, Click yes if UAC prompt for permission,
- After that, accept the EULA (End User Licensing Agreement) to begin the installation process.
- The installation assistant will start downloading Windows 11 update files from the Microsoft server, The required time depends on your internet connection speed and hardware configuration
- Next, it will verify the downloaded of windows 11 files went successfully.
- And then it will go ahead and then start to install the latest windows 11 on your device.
- Step 3 is which actually installing windows 11. This one took a little bit longer (Around 15 to 20 minutes)
- This can take a bit of time once done it will ask you to reboot the system
Once you reboot your PC, your computer prompt working on updates make sure to keep your computer on (Don’t turn off your computer during this time) and your computer may restart a few times during this process.
In addition, you can download the latest Windows 11 ISO images to perform a clean install.
- Windows snap layout not working? Here is how to fix it
- How to Quickly Fix Blue Screen of Death Errors in Windows 10
- Windows computer slow not responding after update? let’s optimize it
- How To transfer windows 10 license to new computer / another hard drive
- Print jobs stay in queue after printing windows 10 (clear the print queue)