Windows 11 2022 Update is available for both Windows 11 devices and those currently running Windows 10. This is the first major update since Microsoft introduced the windows 11 operating system last year and is available as an optional feature update. This means User must click on the download and install button next to windows 11 version 22H2 available to get it right way. Overall it’s easy to download and install the Windows 11 2022 Update. But few users report experiencing issues download Windows 11 22H2 updates, its gets stuck download hours or Windows 11 22H2 failed to install.
Why windows 11 2022 update failed?
This issue Windows 11 22H2 failed to install only occurs to those users who are trying to upgrade windows 11 22H2 via the windows update page. However yet its not clear what is the main cause of this issue maybe it is a compatibility issue, or something else.
Sometimes due to slow or unstable Internet connectivity issues the Windows 11 2022 Update stuck download hours, or third-party security software prevents apply new changes. Again not enough storage space or corrupted system files, An issue with the Windows Update service also may prevent can cause Windows 11 22H2 failed to install with different errors.
How to fix Windows 11 Update failing errors?
There are multiple solutions to fix windows 11 update problems, some of them include restart your device, Disable antivirus or VPN, Run windows update troubleshooter, Clear update cache, repair corrupted system files with DISM and sfc utility, switch to google DNS and more.
Let’s first restart your PC, to refresh the operating system and clear temporary glitches that may prevent new feature updates apply.
Restarting the computer forces all the OS and all applications to start over and can “fix” many issues.
Check internet connection
The windows 11 2022 update size is around 5GB, and you must have a stable and working internet connection to To download the windows 11 version 22H2 files from the Microsoft server.
You can check your internet speed here https://www.speedtest.net/
In addition press the Windows key + R, type ping google.com -t and click ok to check if its continues getting replay from google.com. If it breaks then you need to troubleshoot your internet connectivity.
In addition, temporarily disable or uninstall third-party antivirus if you have installed on your computer Because sometimes security software prevents apply new changes on your device. Again if you are connected VPN server we recommend disconnect it and try to install the windows 11 2022 update again.
Make enough disk space for installation
It’s important to check and make sure you have enough free storage space on your device to download and install the windows 11 2022 update. Hence windows 11 22H2 is a big update that brings a number of new features and changes, this is going to be a large package for you. And Make sure you have at least 15 -20 GB of free storage space to install feature updates without any issues or errors.
- Check the system drive, often the C: drive, to see if there is enough free disc space.
- Also, you can use the Disk Clean-up tool to make some room on your drive and uninstall unused programs.
- Or you can transfer some large files to an external drive from the desktop or the downloads folder to free up disk space on the system drive.
In addition, Make sure the time and location are set correctly because sometimes Incorrect time zone settings might lead to issues like failed Windows update installations.
- Right-click the date and time in the taskbar’s lower right corner and select Adjust Date and Time.
- Make sure to toggle on the set time automatically and set time zone automatically options.
Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter tool
Windows 11 features a build in update troubleshooter tool that can handle a variety of issues automatically. Let’s run the update troubleshooter and let Windows address any issues preventing updates from downloading or installing.
- Press the Windows key + X and select settings,
- Go to System the Troubleshoot and click on other troubleshooters,
- This will display a list of available troubleshooters, scroll down to locate the windows update and click Run next to it.
This will identify any issues preventing Windows 11 22H2 update from installing or applying the most recent updates to your machine and attempt to fix them on its own.
Once the troubleshooting completes, reboot your PC and try to install the windows 11 2022 update again.
Clean up the Windows Image with the DISM Tool and system file checker
Windows 11 has a tool called, Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM), usually this tool used by Windows administrators to deploy and manage Windows images. But this tool is also handy for fix corrupt or missing windows to update files on windows 11 computers. Again there is a possibility that corrupted or missing system files causing the issue or that Windows 11 installation will become stuck for hours. Running system file checker utility scan for missing system files and update them.
Your system might fail to install the windows 11 22H1 update if the essential system files are corrupt. In this context, performing the DISM and SFC scans may solve the problem.
- Open the command prompt as administrator, to do so search cmd on the start menu right click on the command prompt and select run as administrator.
- First run DISM restorehealth command Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Let the scanning process complete 100%, note you may notice that the progress will seem to be stuck at 20%. This is normal behavior and will stay at 20% for a while before continuing.
- Next, run the system file checker command sfc /scannow, this is a great way to repair files that DISM cannot.
- SFC will scan all protected system files, and replace any corrupted files with a cached copy located in a compressed folder located in your c:\windows\system32\dllcache folder.
Once completed, reboot your PC and try to install the windows 11 2022 update again, check if the 22H2 update can be installed without any problems or errors.
Reset Windows Update components
Sometimes new update files may fail to install or apply if there’s something wrong with Windows Update components. Yes if windows update components are corrupted, or windows update or its related service not started or stuck running it may result windows 11 2022 update stuck download or fail to install with different errors. And resetting Windows Update components is probably one of the best working solutions to fix windows update problems on windows 11. Here is how to do it:
Step 01: Stop windows update service and its related services
- Press Windows key + R, type services.msc and click to open the windows service console,
- Scroll down and locate the windows update service, right-click on it select stop,
- In addition, stop the Background Intelligent Transfer Service and Cryptographic service as well.
Step 02: Clear windows update cache files
- Now open windows file explorer using windows key + E,
- Navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
- Here inside the download folder, delete all files and folders there, To do so press windows key + A to select all then hit the del key.
- Don’t worry about these files these are cache files only, and next time when you check for updates this will download fresh update files from Microsoft server.
Step : 03 Restart your computer
Finally, close everything and reboot your PC from the start menu – > power button.
Now again open the windows update and try to download the windows 11 2022 update now.
Update your drivers
Sometimes this issue (Windows 11 22H2 upgrade failed) may also be triggered by some missing or outdated drivers. A few Windows users reported that this issue is resolved after they update their Graphics drivers. Try updating your drivers to see if you can fix this issue.
- Press the windows key + x and select device manager,
- This will display a list of drivers installed on your computer,
- Locate and expand the display adapters, right-click on the installed graphics driver select update driver.
- Select the option Browse my computer for drivers to allow download updated drivers from the Microsoft server and follow the on-screen instructions.
Also, you can visit the device manufacturer to download and install the latest driver update for your computer as well.
Use the Latest Update Assistant to Update Your System
Usually, the official way to download and install the windows 11 2022 update is install through the Windows Update channel. But if your system cannot install it, stuck download or fails to install with different for any reason, you can use the Latest windows 11 installation Assistant to upgrade Your System to windows 11 version 22H2.
- Open the web browser and head over to the official Microsoft windows 11 download page here.
- Open the folder where the file is located, right-click the program package, and choose Run as administrator
- Click Accept and install. The installation assistant will then automatically download and install Windows 11.
- Once the installation is ready the computer will need to restart to apply the new version and changes.
- Click restart when you are ready or it will automatically restart after 30 min. (You have the option to Restart later as well.)
Also, you can use the windows 11 media creation tool to make it bootable USB Or use windows 11 2022 update ISO to install it from scratch.
- Windows 11 Start menu not working or responding issue (7 solutions)
- 7 Ways to Overcome windows update Install Error on Windows 11
- [9 solutions] Fix Windows 11 Screen Freezes But Mouse Works problem
- Solved: Feature update to Windows 10 version 21H2 failed to install
- Windows 10 Update KB5017308 failed? Here are 5 fixes you can try