Getting error 0x80070422 while trying to install recent windows updates and this error prevents you completely from downloading or installing windows updates? Corrupted system files, Network or internet connectivity issues or windows update or its related services not started are some common reasons why you are getting windows update error 0x80070422. And start or restarting the windows update service is a quick and effective way to solve this problem. Again for a few users disabling Internet Protocol Version 6 or running its related troubleshooter is helpful. If you are looking for solutions to fix Windows 10 Update Error 0x80070422 apply the solutions listed below.
There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help (0x80070422)
Windows update error 0x80070422
If you notice the windows 10 update is stuck download 100 hours and then display an error message you need to check the internet connectivity first. Because you need a stable working internet connection to download windows update files from the Microsoft server.
You can check your internet speed here at fast.com or speedtest.net. In addition press the windows key + R, type ping google.com -t and click ok and check continuously getting ping replay from the google server or not. If the replay drops between you need to troubleshoot your internet connection first.
The next thing we recommend temporarily all Disable or uninstall Any third-party security software or antivirus protection (if installed). And most importantly disconnect VPN if configured on your device.
One more thing check and make sure enough free space on your system drive to download windows updates on your device before apply. You can run disk clean-up or storage sense to free up some space, and also move some files from the download or desktop folder to a different drive or external HDD.
Now restart your computer and try to install the windows update again.
Restart windows update Services
Windows update and its related services must be running state to download windows update files from the Microsoft server. If due to any reason the update service is stuck or not started you might end up with the 0x80070422 error. Let’s check and start or restart the windows update service following the steps below.
- Press the Windows key + R, type services.msc and click ok to open the windows service console,
- Then scroll down look for windows update service, right-click on it select restart,
- If the windows update service not started, double-click on it to open its properties,
- Here change the startup type to Automatic, and start the service next to service status.
- Finally, click apply and ok to make save changes you have done.
And also make sure the following services are running:
- BitLocker Drive Encryption Service
- DCOM Server Process Launcher
- Windows Defender Firewall
- Network Connections
If their status is not Running, you can right-click them and choose Start. And if these services already running simply right-click on it and select Restart.
Some users suggest on the Microsoft forum, Reddit that Disabling IPv6 helps them to resolve this windows 10 update error 0x80070422. Follow the steps below to disable IPv 6 on windows 10.
- Press Windows + R, type ncpa.cpl and click ok to open the network connections window.
- Here right-click on Active network adapter (Ethernet/WiFi), Select properties.
- Then Locate Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP /IPv6).
- Click to un-tick the box before this option, then click OK to save the change.
Restart Network List Service
Again few users confirmed that restarting the Network List Service fixed the problem for them. More specifically, all you need to do is turn this service off and then turn it back on or simply restart it. Here are the steps to follow:
- Press Windows + R, type services.msc and ok to open windows services.
- Locate Network List Service > right-click on it > select Restart.
- You can also select Stop and then Restart.
Run windows update troubleshooter
Windows 10 comes with a built-in troubleshooter that can quickly check and fix general technical issues affecting various Windows components, including the Update service. So, if error 0x80070422 still persists after trying all the solutions listed above, try running Microsoft’s Update Troubleshooter.
- Press Windows + I to open windows settings
- Click on Update & Security then Troubleshoot and click on additional troubleshooters
- Next click on Windows Update then run the troubleshooter.
Reset corrupted update components
If all the above solutions fail to fix windows update 0x80070422, Then there may corrupt the update component (update Database) causing the issue. Windows software distribution folder where windows download updates before applying them. If due to any bug updates get corrupted you may also face this error.
- Simply open windows services and stop windows update and BITS service.
- Then open C:\Windows, look for the software distribution folder and rename it to software distribution.old.
- Restart the services which you previously stopped and check for updates.
- I hope this helps to fix the windows 10 update error 0x80070422.
Install windows updates in clean boot
Clean booting your computer may also help. If any third-party software causes conflict to download & install windows updates. Here’s how to do this:
- Go to the search box > type msconfig.
- Select System Configuration > go to the Services tab.
- Select Hide all Microsoft services > Disable all.
Next move to Startup tab then Open Task Manager Here Disable all the unnecessary services or programs running there. Restart your computer and check for updates.
Install Windows Update manually
This is another way to install windows updates without any errors or Stuck downloading. And no need to run the Windows update troubleshooter or Clear the update cache. You can resolve the problem manually by installing the latest Windows 10 updates.
- Visit the Windows 10 update history webpage where you can notice the logs of all the previous Windows updates that have been released.
- For the most recently released update, note down the KB number.
- Now use the Windows Update Catalog Website to search for the update specified by the KB number you noted down. Download the update depending on if your machine is 32-bit = x86 or 64-bit=x64.
- Open the downloaded file in order to install the update.
In addition, sometimes corrupted system files also prevent windows updates download or apply on your system. Running system file checker utility is a good solution that probably scans and replace missing system files with the correct one.
That’s all after installing the updates simply restart the computer to apply the changes. Also If you are getting windows Update stuck while the upgrade process simply use the official media creation tool to upgrade to windows 10 version 22H2 without any error or problem.
Still, need any help or have any suggestions about this post (Windows 10 Update Error 0x80070422) feel free to discuss in the comments below. Also, Read
- 3 Ways to Resolve IP address Conflict on windows 10
- How to Uninstall a Windows 10 Cumulative Update
- local area connection doesn’t have a valid IP configuration windows 10
- How to Create a system restore point in windows 10, 8.1 and 7
- 5 solutions to fix the Microsoft Store app is blocked in Windows 10