With the latest Windows 10, Microsoft regularly releases cumulative updates and feature update every six months with various security improvements, bug fixes, and new features as well. Overall latest Windows 10 is the best ever OS by Microsoft that is faster, secure, and the company regularly add new features as well. But with regular usage, sometimes you might experience Windows 10 not performing as expected, it takes time to start. Few users report, windows 10 not responding after update Even it normally starts the desktop screen freezes for a few seconds at startup or the system crashes with a blue screen error.
Also, a few other users report Windows 10 not working after the Update. While open any application or file explorer stuck not responding few seconds or Windows 10 won’t respond to mouse clicks. And the common reason for this problem is the corrupted system files. Again software or hardware conflict, disk drive error or virus malware infection also cause Windows 10 not responding or slow performance.
Note: If you are getting frequent blue screen errors after a windows update, we recommend check our Windows 10 BSOD Ultimate Guide.
Windows 10 Not responding
If your windows 10 Laptop freezes or is unresponsive after update apply the solutions listed here that help you fix the problem and get your computer back on track.
Pro Tip: If Windows 10 not respond or crashes frequently, we recommend start windows into safe mode before apply the solutions listed below.
If this is the very first time you have noticed windows 10 slow, not performing well, we recommend restart your PC and check if this helps.
Perform a full system scan with the latest updated antivirus or antimalware to ensure virus malware infection not cause the issue. Also, download free system optimizers like Ccleaner to clear temp files, cache, cookies, registry errors and optimize the Windows 10 system as well.
Update windows 10
Microsoft regularly releases cumulative updates with the latest bug fixes and security improvements that fix the previous problems as well. Install the latest updates that may have the bug fixes for this problem.
- Press Windows + I to open the Settings app,
- Click Update & security then windows update,
- Next, you need to click on the check for updates button to allow download and install the latest windows updates from the Microsoft server.
- Once done, you need to restart windows to apply them.
Pro Tip: Also if you notice This problem started install Recent windows update then we suggest uninstall the recent update from Control panel -> Small icon View programs and features -> View installed updates on left pane -> this will display all installed updates list select the recently installed update, Right click on it and click uninstall.
Remove Recent Installed Application
If you notice System Became Unresponsive, Recently After installing Any third party Application, Games, Antivirus ( Security software ). Then may this application is not compatible with the current windows version. Remove the same and check if windows is working as expected.
- Search for and select Add or remove programs,
- locate the application you have recently installed,
- select it and click the uninstall button
- Follow on-screen instructions to remove the program completely
- Small icon View programs and features -> Select the Recently installed application and click uninstall.
Close Unnecessary Applications
If you are running too many programs at the same time, they will compete for the limited system resources, which leads to one of the programs freezes or not responds.
Also, May some Startup Applications Cause high impact which became System Unresponsive. You must disable the Startup Applications from Task manager -> Startup Tab -> Her Select the application which causes high impact ( Disable all unusable Applications )
Disable Back Ground Running Apps
With the latest Windows 10, Some Apps Run Automatically On Background. That uses unnecessary system Resources which cause Windows Slow performance or not Responding at startup. Disable background apps not only save system resources but also speed up the Windows 10 performance as well.
- Right-click on Windows 10 start menu, select settings,
- Click Privacy and select Background Apps on the left side.
- This will display all running apps, I recommend Turn off all these apps.
- Now Close Windows, Restart the System and check the next login computer running smoothly.
Repair Corrupted system files
As discussed before, if windows 10 system files get corrupted or missing, you might experience different problems include the system not responding or freezes. Run the built-in system file checker utility that automatically detects and restores them with correct ones.
- Open the command prompt as administrator,
- Type command sfc /scannow and press enter key
- This will Start scanning for missing or corrupted system files,
- If found any the utility will automatically restore them from a special cache folder located on %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
- You only have to wait until 100% complete the scanning process.
After That, Restart windows to take effect the changes SFC utility done. Check This time, windows started normally and operate smoothly.
Note: If SFC utility results, Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them, Then Run the DISM Tool which enables the SFC utility to do its job.
Check For Disk Drive Errors
Also, If Disk Drive is on Error State, Have Bad Sectors issue, That can cause windows buggy, Not respond when you open any folder or file. We Recommend Run The CHKDSK Utility with some extra parameters to force CHKDSK to scan and fix Disk Errors.
- Again open the Command prompt as administrator.
- Type Command chkdsk /f /r /x And hit enter key. Press Y and Restart windows.
You can read more about this Command and use of extra parameters from this post Repair Disk Drive Errors using CHKDSK Command.
This will scan the disk Drive for Errors and try to Fix Them if found any. After 100% Complete the scanning process, this will Restart windows, Now login normally and check windows running smoothly?
Install .NET Framework 3.5 and C++ Redistributable Package
Also, Some Windows Users Suggest After install or update the C++ Redistributable Packages and .NET Framework 3.5 help them To fix startup Crashes, Freezes windows not responding issue on Windows 10.
Many third-party applications and Windows 10 depend on these two components to function accurately. Hence downloading and installing these two components may be a prominent solution to this problem. Get C++ Redistributable package and .Net Framework 3.5 from here.
Disable AppXsvc Using Registry Editor
If all the Above method fails to fix the startup crashes not responding issue then a simple registry Tweak does the job for you.
Note: Windows registry is an essential part of windows, Any wrong modification will cause a serious issue. We recommend create a system restore point before doing any modification.
First, open Windows Registry Editor by pressing Windows key + R, type Regedit and hit the enter key. Here from the left column, navigate to –
Now Locate the DWORD Start on the right panel of the screen. Double-click on it, Change the Value data number 4 and click OK.
That’s all close to the Registry Editor restart the computer to effect the changes. Now Check on Next login Windows start smoothly without any startup issue, System Not Responding, Windows Freezes, Crashes issue.
Note: If you notice Windows 10 won’t start after the Update, apply the solutions listed here to fix Windows 10 boot failure problems.
- Windows 10 Keyboard Suddenly stopped working? Apply these solutions to fix it
- Windows 10 Photos App Not Working after update? Let’s fix it.
- Solved: The application was unable to start correctly Windows 10
- Solved: Bluetooth device not connecting in windows 10, 8.1 and 7
- Fix APC_INDEX_MISMATCH Stop code 0x00000001 on Windows 10