As a general rule, an up-to-date operating system is a secure operating system. That’s why With Windows 10 Microsoft Make it mandatory to Download and install the latest Windows Update Automatically. Also, Microsoft Regularly drops latest updates with Security improvements, Bug fixes to patch the security hole created by third-party applications. That’s why These updates are important to make your experience hassle-free and safe.
But for Some users found this auto-update feature irritating them. It keeps on checking for updates and installing them. It not only consumes data and decreases internet speed but also takes CPU cycles. If you are also One of those users who looking for Stop windows 10 Auto updates, Here some Different Ways to Control and Stop Windows 10 Update from Installing Updates Automatically.
Disable windows update in windows 10
Note: Automatic updates are typically a good thing and I recommend leaving them on in general. As such these methods should primarily be used for preventing a troublesome update from automatically reinstalling (the dreaded crash loop) or stopping a potentially troublesome update from installing in the first place.
Stop Windows Update Service
This is the Best way to Completly control/Stop Windows 10 from Download and Install Updates Automatically on Windows 10 All Editions.
- Press Windows + R, type services.msc and ok to open windows services console,
- Scroll down and look for Windows update service,
- Right click on windows update service and select properties,
- Here change the startup type disable from drop down menu,
- Also, stop the service next to service status,
- Click apply and ok to make save changes.
Remember this setting and keep in mind that if in future you would like to install updates then you will have to turn it ON. So, that you can make the updates as required on right time.
Use Group Policy To Stop Auto Update
If you are Windows 10 pro user you can Configure group policy to Stop Windows 10 Update from Installing Updates Automatically.
- Press Windows + R key, type gpedit.msc and ok to Open Group Policy Editor
- Navigate to Computer Configuration> Administrative Templates> Windows Components> Windows Update.
- Then on the right side double click the Configure Automatic Updates.
- On the left side, check the Enabled option to enable the policy.
- Under Options, you’ll find a number of ways to configure automatic updates, including:
- 2 – “Notify for download and notify for install.”
- 3 – “Auto download and notify for install.”
- 4 – “Auto download and schedule the install.”
- 5 – “Allow local admin to choose setting.”
- You should select the update option you want to configure.
- If you select option 2, Windows only Notify you to download / Install window updates.
- Whenever you think its right time to download and install updates you can do this.
- Also, you can any time Disable this policy to Normally download and install windows updates.
Turn Off Automatic Updates In Windows 10 Via Registry
If you are Windows 10 Home Basic user Then you don’t have Group policy feature to control Windows Update Installation. But Don’t worry with A simply Registry tweaks you can control over windows updates. We recommend to Backup Registry Data Base Before make any modification. Then Follow steps to Stop Windows 10 Update from Installing Updates Automatically
- Type regedit on start menu search and hit the enter key to open windows registry editor.
- Then navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows.
- In the left side, right click on the Windows, select New and then click Key.
- This will create a new key, Rename it to WindowsUpdate.
- Now Again Right click on The windows update key select New > Key.
- It will create another key inside WindowsUpdate, rename it to AU.
- Now right-click on AU, select New and click DWord (32-bit) Value and rename it to AUOptions.
Double-click on AUOptions key. Set the base as “Hexadecimal” and change its value data using any of below-mentioned value:
- 2 – “Notify for download and notify for install”.
- 3 – “Auto download and notify for install”.
- 4 – “Auto download and schedule the install”.
- 5 – “Allow local admin to choose the settings”.
set the key value to notify for install
Changing the data value to “2” stops the Windows 10 automatic update and ensures you will receive a notification every time a new update is available. If you want to allow the automatic update, change its value to 0 or delete the keys created in above steps.
Set as metered connection
Also if you have limited data connection then just mark it as metered so that Windows 10 won’t auto-update it.
- To Set As the metered connection
- Go to Settings> Network & Internet> Wi-Fi
- Click “Manage Known Networks“.
- Then you have to choose your Wi-Fi network and then select Properties.
- Finally, enable the Set as metered connection.
Now, Windows 10 will assume that you have a limited data plan on this network and won’t download all updates over it automatically.
Stop auto driver update windows 10
If you looking only looking for Way to Disable Auto download of Driver updates form windows update. Then you can Do this from control panel navigate to System & Security>System>Advanced System Settings and click the hardware tab over there. Then click on the Device Installation Settings and select the option of NO.
These Are some most applicable ways to Stop Windows 10 Update from Installing Updates Automatically. Again we Don’t recommend to Disable, Prevent Windows 10 From install Windows updates automatically. Recommend to keep install the Latest windows updates to safe and secure your Windows 10 PC.
- Things to do Before installing Windows 10 May 2019 update version 1903
- How To Prevent Apps From Running in the Background in Windows 10
- Solved: Windows 10 Update KB4457136 fails to install on some PCs
- 5 solutions to fix the Netflix app not working on windows 10
- How to fix rpc server is unavailable (0x800706ba) on windows 10