Did you notice After the Recent windows 10 upgrade Laptop/PC stuck at scanning and repairing drive C: for minutes or even hours? Or some other users report every time they power on PC windows 10 scanning and repairing drive C: stuck at any point 20% or even 99%. This is mostly because System files get corrupted while the Windows 10 upgrade process. Again if previously windows didn’t shut down properly or the System Shutdown unexpectedly due to the interrupted power supply that may also cause this issue.
Some other reasons such as corrupted Master boot record file (MBR), Bad sector or Error on HDD, which mostly cause windows 10 stuck on repairing disk errors, This might take over an hour to complete or Windows Stuck on Startup repair, Automatic Repair for an hour. If you are struggling with this startup error windows 10 stuck scanning and repairing drive here we have 5 working solutions apply to get rid of this startup error.
Fix scanning and repairing drive c stuck
Usually, Windows starts automatic repair when it fails to boot twice consecutively. And sometimes an error occurs during the repair process making it unable to proceed further and so it gets stuck in a loop. If your PC has entered this state, you obviously cannot access the bootloader settings, which are responsible for starting the repair process. To change it, you need to boot from a bootable media with the appropriate operating system you have installed.
Boot into Safe mode
You need to boot from Windows installation media. If you have an installation DVD with Windows 10, you can use it otherwise you can Create an installation DVD / Bootable USB using the windows media creation tool.
- Boot from installation media skip the first screen and click on repair your computer as shown below image.
- Next Choose Troubleshoot > Advanced option > Choose to Startup Settings -> Restart and press F4 To boot into safe mode and F5 to enable the safe mode with networking.
Note: If windows fail to boot into safe mode that causes simply access Advanced options -> and open the command prompt. Then perform the command below shown on the next step.
Disable Fast startup Feature
Several windows users after disable the fast startup feature the error is gone for them.
- Open control panel go to All Control Panel Items then Power Options
- Click on change what the power buttons do then change settings that are currently unavailable.
- Here, uncheck Turn on fast startup (recommended), Click ok and apply to make save the change.
Run SFC Utility
The next thing you must check if the corrupted system files causing the issue. Run the system file checker utility following steps below that scan for corrupted system files. If found any the sfc utility automatically restores them with correct ones.
- Simply open the command prompt with administrative privilege.
- Run sfc /scannow command to scan and restore missing corrupted system files.
- Sfc utility will scan your system for missing corrupted system files if found any the utility will restore them from a special compressed folder located on %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
- Wait until 100% complete the scanning process.
If Sfc Scan results, windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them Then Run DISM command: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth which repair system image and allow sfc to do its job. After complete 100% scanning process again run the System file checker.
Run CHKDSK to Fix Disk Drive Errors
Then run the chkdsk command to check for disk drive errors. Or you can add extra parameters to force CHKDSK to forcefully repair disk errors.
chkdsk C: /f /r
Note: Here command Chkdsk stands for Check disk Errors, C: is the Drive letter, /r for Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information and /f Fixes errors on the disk.
Press Y to confirm to run chkdsk on the next start and restart your PC. This will check the disk drive for errors and fix them if found any. Wait until 100% complete the process after this will automatically restart and start windows normally without any stuck at startup.
Also, Some users suggest On safe mode Right-click on the Start menu and select Powershell (Admin). Then type repair-volume -driveletter x (Note: replace X with your windows installed drive C:) wait for 100% complete the scanning process. After that restart windows, This helps them to fix windows 10 scanning and repairing drive c stuck at 100.
These are some most working solutions to fix scanning and repairing drive every boot on windows 10. Have any queries, suggestions about this post feel free to discuss on the comments below.
- Windows 10 Running slow? Here is how to make windows 10 run faster
- The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b) windows 10
- How to repair corrupted system files in Windows 10, 8.1 and 7
- How to Delete Pending Windows updates and preview builds on Windows 10
- Solved: Windows 10 Settings not Opening Working
1 thought on “Solved : Windows 10 scanning and repairing drive c stuck at 100”
I had same issue with Dell. I waited for 2 hours and tried to restart it but screen was on and laptop was not turnning off or restarting. I plugged in the charger and then press hold power button and it restarted. This has happened twice. I dont know logic behind it, but it worked for me.