Sometimes you may experience, Print Spooler keeps stopping when you try to print your documents or get a “print spooler service” error when you try to install a printer in Windows that says: Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running. This is because due to some reason, the Print Spooler Service not started or stuck running and the reason may different. If you are struggling with the situation that the “Print Spooler keeps stopping“ In this post, we have multiple solutions you need to apply to fix the problem. Before that let’s first understand what is print spooler in Windows 10.
What is the print spooler?
The print spooler is a utility that is responsible for managing print jobs that users sent to their printer. That means your printer completely relies on the Print Spooler in order to work. If due to some reason this service Print spooler stop working the printer won’t complete print jobs or print documents, and result, Windows cannot connect to the printer, The local Print Spooler service is not running
Print Spooler keeps stopping
Now let’s come to the solution part, if you are unable to complete print jobs or unable to install a local printer that results, the local Print Spooler service is not running apply the solutions listed below.
Start print spooler service
We have already discussed the importance of the print spooler service. And it must be running state to complete print jobs or add a new printer on windows 10. Let’s first check the print spooler status.
- Press Windows key + R, type services.msc and click ok
- This will open the windows services console,
- Scroll down and locate the print spooler service and check the service status.
- If it’s running state then right-click on print spooler service and select restart.
- If the service is not started then double click on print spooler service to open its properties,
- Here change its startup type to automatic and start the service next to service status.
- Now move to the Recovery tab, ensure all three failure fields are set to Restart the Service
- Click on apply and ok to make save changes and check the status of your problem. Also, we recommend restarting the computer and try to install the printer again.
Delete Print Spooler files
This is another effective solution to fix most printer problems, especially if the print job is stuck in the queue or windows fails to add a new printer.
- Open the windows service console using services.msc
- Locate and right-click on print spooler service select stop,
- Now navigate to C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS
- Delete all the files inside the printer folder,
- Again open the services console and start the print spooler service.
- Now try to print something from your PC or add a local printer to check the status of your problem.
Run printer troubleshooter
Running the built-in Printer Troubleshooter also helps solve most print issues that prevent complete print jobs or install a local printer on windows 10.
- Press the Windows key + X and select settings,
- Click on Update & security then troubleshoot,
- Click the additional troubleshooter link (refer image below)
- Now locate and select printer then click on run the troubleshooter,
- This will check if you have the latest printer drivers, connectivity issues, Print Spooler and required Services are running fine and more.
- Let’s complete the diagnosis process once done reboot your PC and check the status of your problem.
Reinstall printer driver
Again if the print spooler keeps stopping after every time you start or restart it then the problem is likely related to the printer driver. The installed printer driver on your computer may be outdated, or corrupted and need to update the printer driver with the latest version.
First, completely uninstall the printer driver following the steps below.
- Open the windows service console using services.msc and stop the print spooler service,
- Press Windows key + R, type printui.exe /s /t2 and click ok to open print server properties,
- Locate and select the printer name which is causing the issue, then click remove and when ask for confirmation to remove the driver as well.
- Next press windows + X and select settings,
- Click Devices then printers & scanner, Locate and select the printer then click remove the device and follow the on-screen instructions. Once done reboot your PC.
Install the printer driver
Most of the time disconnecting and reconnecting the printer automatically install the default driver on your PC.
Also, you can connect the printer, then open the device manager -> click menu the and scan for hardware changes to install the default printer driver.
Or visit the printer manufacturer’s website, and download and install the latest printer drivers from the website. for example, if you have HP printer then visit HP Software and Drivers Downloads page to download the latest printer driver.
Did these solutions help fix the print spooler service error, Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running or Print Spooler keeps stopping problem in windows 10? Let us know in the comments below.
- How to Clear the Print Queue in Windows 10 (Without Restarting)
- Solved: print jobs stay in the queue after printing windows 10
- How to Print pictures in different sizes windows 10
- Can’t print pdf files after the windows 10 update? Apply these solutions
- Copy and paste not working in Windows 10 computer? apply the quick solutions