Sometimes, especially after windows update or install a new graphics card you may experience, unable to change screen resolution on your computer running windows 10. Few windows 10 users report, the screen resolution option is grayed out and they can’t change screen resolution on their pc. The primary reason for this problem is incompatible or outdated display drivers that conflict with Windows 10. And you need to reinstall the graphics driver to fix the problem. Let’s see how to fix Screen Resolution problems in Windows 10.
How to change screen resolution windows 10
The simple and easiest way to change screen resolution on your computer is:
- Right-click the black space of the desktop and choose Display settings. Or Press Windows key + x select settings, then click on system.
- Next, click the drop-down icon under Display Resolution to select the desired screen resolution for your Windows 10 computer.
- We suggest you stick with the resolution marked “(Recommended)
Can’t change screen resolution windows 10
Well if you are unable to change the screen resolution or the Resolution setting is grayed out in Display Settings apply the solutions listed below.
If you have an external monitor, then disconnect all cables (VGA cable) connected, check for defective connectors and reconnect them. Also if you have similar cable at home try out them to make sure the faulty cable not causing the issue.
Restart your computer that helps fix if temporary glitches that might prevent windows 10 change screen resolution.
Install windows update
Microsoft regularly releases windows updates with various security improvements and bug fixes. Installing the latest windows update fix previous bugs and update drivers as well. And fix the screen resolution problem if an Outdated display driver causing the issue.
- Press Windows key + X select settings,
- Click on Update & security then hit the check for updates button,
- In addition, click on the download and install link under optional updates.
- This will start to download and install the latest windows updates from the Microsoft server.
- Once done restart your PC to apply them and check the status of this problem.
Reinstall Display driver
If your resolution was fine and recently changed, that cause your graphics driver might need to be updated. Installing the latest windows update display driver but if still having problem with screen resolution, try to reinstall the display driver following the steps below.
Uninstall display driver
- Press Windows key + x and select device manager,
- This will display all installed device driver list,
- Locate and expand, display adapters right-click on your installed display driver (for example Nvidia Graphic driver) and select uninstall the device.
- Checkmark on delete the driver software for this device and click uninstall again when ask for confirmation.
- Next press windows + R, type appwiz.cpl and click ok
- This will open the programs and features window, look at there if any NVIDIA driver or component is listed. If found any right-click on it select uninstall.
- And finally, restart your computer to completely remove the display driver.
Install Graphics driver
The best way to get the latest graphics driver versions is the manufacturer site. For example, visit the NVIDIA Driver download page and download the latest graphics driver for your device.
- Locate the download location, Right-click on the setup.exe and select run as administrator and follow on screen instructions to install the latest graphics driver on your computer.
- Once done restart your PC and next start windows 10 automatically detect your screen resolution you don’t need to anything.
- Or you can manually change the screen resolution from settings -> system -> Display.
Install Microsoft Basic Display Driver
This problem is related to the Display driver, and we need to focus on it to fix the problem. if reinstall the graphics driver didn’t fix the problem then try install and use the default Microsoft basic display driver that probably helps fix the problem.
- Press Windows key + R, type devmgmt.msc and hit the enter key,
- This will open the device manager and list all installed device driver list,
- Expand Display adapter, right-click on your Graphic Card Driver then select “Update Driver Software.”
- Click on “Browse my computer for driver software.” on the next screen select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.”
- Now select Microsoft Basic Display Adapter and click Next. Let the process finish and reboot your PC
- And after that check the status of the Windows 10 screen resolution problem.
Install Graphics Driver in Compatibility Mode
May the display driver incompatibility causing the issue with windows 10. several users report installing Install Graphics Driver in Compatibility Mode help them fix the problem.
- Press Windows key + R, type dxdiag and click ok.
- This will open DirectX diagnostic too, move to the display tab and note down the driver needed for your display. (for me its NVIDIA Geforce GT 710
Now visit the device manufacturer site, for Intel Graphics Driver Go to this Link or Nvidia Graphics driver Go to this Link to download the latest graphics driver for your PC.
Open the download folder and Locate the driver, right-click on it select properties,
Move to the Compatibility tab and tick “Run this program in compatibility mode for” option. Choose your Windows OS like Windows 8, and click Apply and click OK.
Now double click on setup.exe and follow on-screen instructions to install the driver Once done restart the computer and check if the issue persists.
In addition, you can also change screen resolution via your graphics card Control Panel. To do this right-click on the blank area on the desktop and select the Nvidia control panel. Click Display to adjust screen resolution.
Did these solutions help fix windows 10 screen resolution problems? Let us know on the comments below.
- Computer screen says input not supported? Here 3 Working solutions
- Solved: Windows 10 Laptop Freezes and Crash after October 2020 update
- How To Fix Device Driver Problems On Windows 10 (UPDATED)
- How To Update Reinstall Display Driver In Windows 10, 8.1 and 7
- 7 working solutions to fix Windows 10 slow boot or startup problem